Podcasts, video, livestream and chatbots garner lots of media attention and they all have their place in the marketer’s tool kit to reach and engage customers.
But which channel follows people wherever they work? Which channel is the number one channel for engagement, and number two for conversions? Which channel generates £35 for every £1 spent?
The latest communication channels may be worth trialling, but don’t forget the humble email – one of the oldest and yet most effective messaging channels.
If you want some supporting evidence, here is a selection of email marketing statistics to demonstrate the real power of email.
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
- 87% of B2B marketers use email as a channel to distribute content (Content Marketing Institute, 2019)
- Organisations estimate £35.41 as the approximate return for every pound spent on email marketing (DMA, 2020)
- 81% of B2B marketers use email newsletters (Content Marketing Institute, 2019)
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months (HubSpot, 2019)
- Email newsletters are the top performing content for nurturing leads (Content Marketing Institute, 2019)
- 68% of organisations have seen an increase in email conversion rates over last year (DMA, 2020)
- Email engagement (90%) is the #1 metric used by B2B marketers to track content performance (Content Marketing Institute, 2019)
- 70% of organisations are able to calculate the ROI from their email marketing programmes (DMA, 2020)
- 85% of all emails make it into the inbox. (Return Path, 2018)
- B2B marketers say that email is the number one channel for driving engagement (eMarketer, 2020)
B2B Email Data Quality
- 25% of users say the most annoying thing about work emails is the data the marketers has about the user is wrong (Adobe, 2019)
- 19% of work email recipients complain that marketers mis-spell their name (Adobe, 2019)
- After budget/resource, 42% of marketers cite Data (lack of data; data degradation; data siloes; data bias) as the most significant challenge to successfully executing email marketing programmes (DMA, 2020)
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
- Mobile accounts for 62 percent of all email opens (upland Adestra, 2019)
- Gmail and Apple iPhone are the top 2 email clients accounting for 55% of all opens (Litmus, 2019)
- 81% use a smartphone for regularly checking emails (Litmus, 2019)
Email Marketing Best Practices Statistics
- 85% of B2B organizations use email marketing software to assist with content marketing. (Content Marketing Institute, 2019)
- Marketers who use segmented campaigns note as much as a 760% increase in revenue. (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- 50% of marketers believe that artificial intelligence could be used to improve subject line copy (upland Adestra, 2019)
- 89% of marketers use name/company personalisation in their emails (Litmus, 2019)
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 27% more likely to be opened (Experian, 2016)
- Tuesdays see the highest open rates but also the highest unsubscribe rates (Campaign Monitor, 2020)
Want to learn more?
Check out these other posts, or click here to explore NetFinder, Rhetorik’s international marketing database.
Coronavirus – a guide for demand-gen marketers
Email continues to dominate as preferred channel for sales engagement